Thursday 18 November 2010

Holiday music

With Christmas approaching, I am already (much to my husband's chagrin) pulling out the Christmas music, my favourite part of the holiday.

I really need some recommendations, though! I only have a small number of Christmas CDs, and only a couple that I really enjoy. I have the hardest time finding good Christmas albums.

I cannot stand when artists take traditional Christmas songs, change the rhythm a bit, and think they've somehow improved it. You haven't. You've wrecked it. Thanks a lot.

Nor do I like Christmas albums where the traditional tunes are left alone, but sung about three octaves higher than the average person would sing. It grates after about, oh, five minutes.

I have these exact same problems with finding hymn compilations that I like. Leave the rhythm alone, come down a few octaves, and just sing the hymns! They are beautiful as they are.

So - help! Do you have a favourite Christmas album (preference on avoiding Santa-related tunes)? What about hymns - any favourite albums there?

As for my favourites? Dawn of Grace by Sixpence None the Richer and Christmas by Alabama are two that I have listened to over and over and over again. Both of them are beautiful Christmas albums.

Now I'd just like a bit more variety!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I have some really good Christmas CDs which I invariantly listen to every December.

    Both the jazzy variety and from the Nordic countries (Sweden? Norway?):
    Nils Landgren - Christmas with my friends (first CD instrumental, second CD with woman singing).

    Bugge Wesseltoft - It's snowing on my piano.

    I hope you enjoy them!

    Greetings from Belgium,

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell from this post if we have the same taste in music or not, so these suggestions may or may not be helpful; at least you can check them out on Amazon.
    Vince Guaraldi- A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Time Life Classic Christmas Album
    Bela Fleck Christmas Album (this may be too changed for your taste though it's one of our family's favorites and I can't help mentioning it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite CD is Mitch Miller and the Gang. Don't ask! We listened to it growing up and it has stuck with me. I think I like it b/c it has a sing-along quality to it.

    I also really like Amy Grant's album. I don't know if she has any newer ones out, but the one I am talking about is from the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the suggestions! Those are some great ones. I really enjoyed listening to samples of each of them on Amazon. Now I just have to narrow it down to one or two of them...

    ReplyDelete