Saturday 10 December 2011

Circumcision

Today I am guest posting at Up, Down & Natural on the topic of routine infant circumcision.

"There are so many myths out there, from physical to emotional to cultural, it's easy for a woman to allow her son's foreskin to be cut off without giving it a second thought. After all, it's just what's done.

I remember thinking that at one point..."

Read the rest over at Up, Down & Natural!

Arpita, the writer behind Up, Down & Natural, is a postpartum doula who blogs about trying to conceive, eco-friendly living, organic eating, ayurvedic medicine, alternative medicine, natural parenting, attachment parenting, and more. In her words: "Sometimes the world of trying to live greener and switching to chemical free organics is enough to turn you upside down. However, when these changes are made for our children and the earth we bring them into, it only seems natural."

2 comments:

  1. That was one of the best well-rounded arguments against circumcision I have ever read. If our first baby had been a boy, he would have been circ'd, because I didn't know any better. Thankfully "he" turned out to be a "she", and by the time baby #2 came along, I had learned enough to know that we would absolutely not be circ'ing. I especially appreciate the way you addressed those who circ because of their Jewish heritage. I didn't know about the protection provided on the 8th day - amazing how God's mercy is shown in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so well-written. As you know, we are Jewish and we circumcised our son on the 8th day of his life in accordance with Jewish law. I understand all of your points against the practice, but I just couldn't not; it's a fundamental part of our faith. Yet, there are certain circles in which I really cringe before saying so. I appreciate your approach to the Jewish traditional circumcision.

    ReplyDelete