Tuesday 27 November 2012

A Tale of Two Mall Trips

Mall Trip #1: The boy, the baby, and the mama.

The baby sleeps.

The boy skips along cheerfully beside me. Occasionally has to be reminded to watch where he's going. Asks for things, accepts the no without complaint, thanks me repeatedly for the Lego MiniFig I buy him.

Return home, make labour-intensive supper, happy happy joy joy.


Mall Trip #2: The boy, the toddler, the baby, and the mama.

The baby sleeps.

The boy skips along cheerfully beside me. Occasionally has to be reminded to watch where he's going. Asks for things, accepts the no without complaint, thanks me repeatedly for the special snack I buy him.

The toddler flops down to the ground, all 30+ pounds of him, for no apparent reason. Does this approximately twenty more times. Misses the toilet both times we stop at the bathroom. Pees all over his pants and boots instead. Thinks that having to hold his mother's hand is an insult to his independence. Tries to pull away every few minutes. Stops walking when he doesn't succeed. Decides today is a good day to start randomly biting his brother. Grabs at things as we walk by. Roars occasionally, for good measure.

Return home after picking up Starbucks, sit down for the next hour, eventually find enough energy to make eggs for dinner. Determine never to take the toddler to the mall again.


In short: It gets easier.

And then the next baby becomes a toddler.

Also, I'm exhausted.

6 comments:

  1. I'm raising my fist in solidarity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joy!! Sharing this on the positive parenting connection facebook community page - I think ALOT of us can relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brave courageous woman you! I took my godchildren to the mall this summer almost 5 and almost 2. I wanted to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, at least you still have your sense of humor! haha. sorry for the rough day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OhmygoshYES. I'm at the same stage as you (5yo, 3yo and 2 month old) and wow.
    Solidarity indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Why is it that I always feel my kid is the only one acting out in the mall? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete