Thursday 8 January 2015

New year, old me

I love the feel of the new year's blank slate as much as the next person. New words, new goals, new hopes and plans, it's just all so shiny and new.

I used to plunge into the new year certain that my mere resolve would make me into a new person, every thought and action purposeful and exact. I'd get it all right this time. That usually lasted about until the minute I had to wake up from my warm cozy bed on New Year's Day. I'm not very good at resolving to be a better person.

Last year I simply chose to go forward into the new year, each step brave and difficult and enough for the moment. I went forward through that year and marveled at all the good and lovely things that happened, from our New Year's Day discovery of a little stowaway, through a Lent of gratitude, beyond a busy summer, past catching that same little stowaway as he arrived into this world, all the way to December and our first Christmas spent at home instead of travelling. It was a very healing year.

This year feels like a year in which to be Fearless. Less worry, more life, that's what this year needs. But I've lived through enough new years to know it's not going to be as simple as that.

Because it all boils down to habits, doesn't it? One thing at a time, slowly, deliberately, it's the most likely way to craft a change that will last.

And so this fearless year is going to start with one simple thing, a morning alarm. These four lovely noisy children have long been my alarm, but somehow I sense that this season needs a change in that regard. A real alarm, a dedicated Time To Get Up, a way to start the day a little less abruptly and a little more purposefully, that's what this season needs.

It's a new year, yes, but let's not try to reinvent ourselves completely. We're still the same people we were a week ago, two weeks ago. A new year does not a new person make - but it can be a nice start to a new habit. One thing, however seemingly small, is another step on this continual turning toward Better.

New year, old me, new habit.


Do you have a word or a hope for 2015? Is there a new habit are you currently working on? What are you looking forward to this year?

6 comments:

  1. New habits that am working toward: Earlier waking, earlier bedtime, discipline bible time, a more organize home, carving out at least 30 minutes for me. I know it will make me a better mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Great habits to be working toward. Thanks for sharing, Korey. :)

      Delete
  2. My word this year is "selfish". I spent 2014 giving almost to much of myself to others to the point where I was burnt out. This year I want to be a little more selfish with my time and remember that sometimes I need to just do stuff for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a perfect word, Tatiana. Good for you!

      Delete
  3. Nourish. Nourish my mind, body and soul.

    ReplyDelete